There are various steps you can take to return to work. They involve assessing what can make your return more difficult (barriers) and what can help or make it easier (facilitators). You can also evaluate your abilities when it comes to the job, and find and utilize the resources available to you to help you with a successful return.
The iCanWork program is an 11-step program you can use to guide you while planning your return to work. While the steps are designed to help return to a former workplace, many of them can also help those looking for a new job. For more information on finding a job, see Changing jobs looking for work.
Note that some steps can overlap and that others can be followed in a different order to address a person’s unique needs and situation.
- Understand factors that can impact work
- Assess functions
- Understand job demands
- Identify and ask for support
- Communicate about return to work
- Take control
- Identify and foster workplace supports
- Contribute to the development of your return to work plan
- Prepare for a return to work
- Manage work expectations
- Monitor the work situation