- Understand factors that can impact work
- Assess function
- Understand job demands
- Identify, treat, and refer to support
- Encourage survivors to take control
- Identify and foster workplace supports
- Contribute to the development of a return to work plan
- Prepare survivors for imminent return to work
- Manage work expectations
- Monitor the work situation
Steps for healthcare providers to follow to support return to work
The iCanWork program is an 10-step program you can use to guide you while planning your return to work. While many of the steps are designed to help return to a former workplace, many of them can also help those looking for a new job. For more information on finding a job, see Changing jobs looking for work.
Note that some steps can overlap and that others can be followed in a different order to address a person’s unique needs and situation. Communication is involved in all the steps of iCanWork. Communication about return to work begins early and often with your healthcare providers, employer and your insurance provider in order to ensure that your concerns are addressed and ensure a smooth transition back to work. See below for other tips or see Communicate about return to work.