Steps for healthcare providers to follow to support return to work
The iCanWork program is an 11-step program you can use to guide you while planning your return to work. While many of the steps are designed to help return to a former workplace, many of them can also help those looking for a new job. For more information on finding a job, see Changing jobs looking for work.
Note that some steps can overlap and that others can be followed in a different order to address a person’s unique needs and situation.
- Understand factors that can impact work
- Assess function
- Understand job demands
- Identify, treat, and refer to support
- Communicate about return to work
- Encourage survivors to take control
- Identify and foster workplace supports
- Contribute to the development of a return to work plan
- Prepare survivors for imminent return to work
- Manage work expectations
- Monitor the work situation